Make a New Post

Sunday, November 14, 2004

My Blog's First Reference

Neat! My blog just got its first reference here. So what is your sitemeter page, Erik? Obviously, it sounds like it tracks changes to web pages, but what is it that you use?

It's funny, I was somewhat opposed to blogging when I first learned of it. I don't actually know why since I'm such a technology / communications geek. I don't know, it just seemed like blogs would be airing too much personal stuff that ought to stay personal (mainly involving other people who may not wish to be blogged about). But then my friends starting getting blogs. At first I didn't really read them...not out of protest or anything, I just never got around to it. Once I finally did, I realized that they're not always about other people's personal business. They can just be random thoughts or intellectual debates. When stuff is personal, it's typically personal to *that* person without creating the drama of airing other people's personal business. Obviously blogs come in a variety of flavors, so there are drama filled blogs, but it finally dawned on me that they don't have to be. So here I am, with my very own blog. I'm thinking that my life must have been filled with drama back then and so that's all I could think that I would write about and just avoided it all together. I guess I never bothered to reassess that decision until recently.

I've really enjoyed reading the blogs that I frequent daily. They help me to feel more in touch with my friends since I get to read about their thoughts and various activities. And I'm really finding this blogging thing neat. Because Blogger doesn't have a simple interface where you can enter URLs to have links added to the sidebar, I had to learn how to read and edit the template. This really excited the geek in me. Learning more inspired me to redesign my website. I look forward to playing around with my website quite a bit this winter!

Update: Two references in one night! I was just checking out my friend Tim Sandefur's blog and he has added a link to his LONG list of blog links. I wonder which one truly gets credit for the "first" reference since they are both friends and reach each other's blogs regularly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home